As spring arrives, most of us start to think about travel and summer vacations. While it’s common for us to put a lot of thought into big trips, I like to draw attention to the little “trips” we take in our mind every day. Being aware of our mental state, and how it affects us and those around us, is a central key to living a happy life.
So what does managing your attitude have to do with travel? I share with my clients that the goal in life is not to be perfect. I am a very upbeat person, which means people sometimes ask me if I am always in a good mood. My answer is a fast and emphatic, no. I believe it’s appropriate and important to experience all of life’s emotions. We need to allow ourselves to feel sad, depressed, discouraged, insecure, and even angry. These are all part of a rich experience. However, there is a difference between fully experiencing these emotions, and getting stuck in them. The key is to find a way to honor the moment, but then let go and not allow it occupy too big a space in your day, your week, or your life.
Have you ever had a stressful situation at work and caught yourself going on and on about it later? Unfortunately, we don’t keep these emotions to ourselves. Instead, we tend to share them with those we care about most, bringing them down too. Remember, we need to learn how to visit – not stay.
By becoming aware of your state of mind throughout the day, you can more easily acknowledge your emotions, and begin to have power over your state of mind. Here is how to get started:
- Make a list of the positive feelings you typically experience during your day or your week.
- Take note of how it makes you feel when you are in these moments.
- Now, make a list of the negative feelings you experience.
- Take note of how these make you feel. Do you notice the difference?
- See if you can identify a common situation that brings up a negative state of mind.
- Imagine what it would be like to let go of the negative feeling once the moment passed. Pretend your mind has a “reset” button you can push where you start each section of your day fresh.
If you find yourself getting stuck in life, and letting negative moments turn into negative days, then I’d love to work with you. Being able to master this skill of getting yourself out of a bad mental state is a life-changer. If you are ready to work on this issue, please schedule a complimentary coaching session today.